I recently got to know a friend of a friend through dinner and drinks. He is so many things: funny, exceedingly bright, thoughtful, reflective, loving and generous. His mom died this morning. I have thought about him a lot, and I worry. He's so aware of everything, and he's not used to worrying a lot about how HE feels, copes, deals, whatever. Here's where the randomness comes in: he's just reunited with a college girlfriend. I shouldn't say 'just' like it was last week. It's been a year or so of reconnecting for them. He's let me know some of the bits and pieces of their life together, and I know they love one another. Deeply, openly and honestly. This is the second go-round for both of them, and they are not wasting time on a lot of bullshit. No games. Good people in love with each other. It's nice to see.
So, now he has a rock on which to rest during this tumultuous time, if only he can attempt to take care of himself. I think she will guide him that way but not interfere. I think they will be stronger yet because of it. I believe that true love is tested by trial, and only the truest come through it together. The rest ... well, maybe they're better off without each other. This sounds cruel but I think it's true. I don't know. I'll try to figure it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment